Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Joy, Kindness, Lemons, and Music

I am days behind but don't want to give up on the challenge.  So I hope this counts. . .

Joy:  God is not after our happiness.  He is after our joy!  Many things make me happy - beautiful weather, lakes, reading, knitting, a great walk.  There is something deeper, more abiding, than mere happiness.  Joy. Joy is knowing that no matter what happens, it comes through the filter of our heavenly Father.  It is the confidence we can have in Him and His sovereignty.

Kindness:  If our joy comes from the Lord, can't we be kind?  Oh I think we fall short so much on this - we are too selfish.  Kindness is a gift from God - and it is a choice.  And sometimes we have to draw on a well of kindness and make that choice when we get. . .

Lemons:  Friends of mine have gone through divorces, deaths in the family, car breakdowns, undiagnosed diseases, car wrecks, abuse situations, and premature birth.  And this all happened in April (not within the same family).  I don't even like answering the phone!  How does one comfort and encourage in some of these situations while the tears are flowing uncontrollably?  With kindness.  By holding on to the faith that the God who made the lemons is also the author of our joy.

Music:  This year I am reading daily about hymns - old, new, familiar and unknown - as my devotional and quiet time.  It is amazing how often the "hymn of the day" is perfect for whatever situation has presented itself.  And for that day, I truly have a song in my heart and head.  That hymn - a special word from God - gives me a deep joy, kindness to face the lemons that may get tossed my way and in the way of my friends.

4 comments:

Marie Anne said...

Wonderfully inspiring post, and great way to catch up!

Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge, blogging at Write, Wrong or Indifferent.

Jeremy Bates said...

Hey, glad to see you sticking with it late or not.

Yes, I agree. Happiness is fleeting but true joy is eternal.

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

I'm so pleased to be finding Christian bloggers, and have become a follower. Come visit me at my Ballpark (clicking on my name will take you there.)

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

cute way to combine letters. You're right, God does not care if we're happy. He want us holy. :-)